Do you love dolls? Do you enjoy the activity of collecting? Then this may be the hobby for you. This hobby is the second largest hobby worldwide. The earliest dolls were found in Africa, Greece, Egypt, and Rome.
Many parents have started young children to have an interest in dolls. The child may continue this interest or not. Some adults develop an interest in dolls for many reasons. Perhaps he or she was deprived of dolls when they were children or it took the adult years to acquire an interest in this hobby.
Are you interested in dolls as a financial investment? You may be disappointed to learn that not all are money makers. If investment is your motivation in this hobby do much studying and research. Knowledge will be essential as there are no guarantees for financial rewards.
What makes a doll valuable?
There are times when a contemporary doll will be more valuable than an antique, vintage, or collectible. Consider manufacturers, historical significance, the doll's physical attributes for cuteness or beauty, celebrity status, popular athletes, famous movie and television stars, metal novelties, reborn and much more.
Knowledge will be the turnkey for deciding if a doll is an antique or vintage. Financial value is determined by the perceived value.
Other Valuable Measurements:
Love, memories, token of affections, limited quantity, desirability, originality, condition, limited editions, collectible, historic, difficult to locate, limited production, unusual or unique, highly sought after, and rare.
- Know what you want and select cautiously supported with knowledge.
- Do not rush; take time. This helps to avoid mistakes.
- Maintain an inventory in order not to duplicate.
- Relax and enjoy each doll as you add it to your collection.
- Department and Hobby Stores
- Toy stores, Specialty doll stores
- Private owners
- Garage, car port, and yard sales
- Flea markets and swap meets
- Antique and Collectible shops
Types of dolls:
- Antique – American standard 100 years old or before the 18th century
- Contemporary – Barbie Dolls are the most famous
- Celebrity – Shirley Temple is in high demand
- Collectible – a variety of vintage dolls
- Baby – Newest trend among women and therapy application
- Children – huge selections
- Ethnic – racial identity
- Paper – Inexpensive
- Fashion – A must have for fashion designers
- Vintage – Dolls which are 50 years old; however some may be considered antique
- Metal – Comic figures are the most popular
- Mechanical and Robot – A favorite among boys and men
- Rag – Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
- Wood – Russian matryoshka nesting dolls
- Straw – a non-permanent doll
Dolls are usually associated as toys for children or a working tool for adults. Other features of dolls concern the needs of men for spiritual, ritual, and magical values.
Dolls may be miniature in size or life-size replicas of human beings. They are constructed with any and all materials that its creator can use to assemble a fantasy or lifelike replica of human beings.
Construction consists of inventive and innovative methods to create fantasy and fun or actual working dolls for utility projects.